Friday, January 16, 2009

My Last Post About the Weather

I hate to post any more on this incredibly cold weather but I keep seeing things that amaze me. Let's start with the my morning temperature update.
Yup, that's right, -23 degrees Fahrenheit. 23 degrees below zero. 55 degrees less than the freezing point of water! 100 degrees lower than my favorite temperature. This kind of stuff absolutely amazes me.

Luckily, I was able to convince my boss to let me work at the plant in Stickney so i could avoid the whole Metra and walking downtown thing. Every overpass than spanned water was a complete sheet of ice.

I work for the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago, so the above mentioned plant is the largest waste water treatment plant in the Americas and one of the largest in the world. When I got there the place looked like it was on fire. It was just steam coming off the final settling tanks.


Now to put this in perspective these pictures are of tanks open on the top, probably 20 feet deep and maybe 100 feet in diameter. There are 92 of these! And that's just these large, round open air tanks. So you could imagine the sight. You can't see it in the first picture but there was an effin' duck swimming. Take my word on that.

On a training note, I had my longest swim ever on Monday. About 3000 yards. I did a spin class on Tuesday. Blew Wednesday's swim off because I was too big of a wuss and didn't want go out in the snow and cold. Rode the trainer for a little over an hour last night. My intentions is to go to master swim tonight and try to "man up" for some run this weekend outside as well as try to find some kind of bike time, whether it's real bike on trainer or spin class.

Coming attractions:
  • Some previously promised bike love, and
  • Why 80's Hair Metal may be the best music ever

226 days 'till Ironman. Oh, shit!

No comments: