Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Serious Post

I never intended this blog to be serious or express my (sometimes skewed view on politics or religion) views but I feel the need to express my thoughts on this whole Barack Obama inauguration spectacle. And that's a perfect word for it spectacle. Also, it is YOUR right as an American to vote, support, think whatever you want and never be persecuted for it. Maybe be told your an asshole for it, but that's OK too.

A couple of observations/issues:
  • One thing that bothers me about Obama, the general perception is that this guy is the second coming of Christ and he walks on water.
  • The general rock star status he has achieved.
  • $160 million dollars spent on the inauguration spectacle. Are you kidding me? Who pays that bill? Aren't we in the middle of a dire financial crisis? Couldn't that money be better spent elsewhere? How many teens who are qualified and want to go to college but can't afford it could be educated? A one day waste of 160,000,000.
  • The next time I hear the political/social views of a celebrity or major pro athlete I think I might puke. I mean this group of people are the most of of touch with reality people I can think of.
  • Rush Limbaugh saying he hopes that Obama will fail. This guy needs help. Serious help. Love Obama or hate Obama the majority of Americans have voted for him and he is now our president. Wouldn't our energy be better served at this point to support and hope he succeeds? Failure for him means failure for our country and I hope no sane American wishes that.
  • Last but not least, and excuse the crudeness of this last statement, but the chances are that if you were a crack-ass m'fer loser on 1/20/09 the chances are that you will still be on 4 years from now. How is it that a lot of people don't realize that the only person that can help yourself is yourself? Get off the drugs, go get an education, get a job, get of the welfare, set a goal, and take some pride in yourself. Yes, you might have to start at the bottom flipping burgers or something like that, and it might take some hard work and responsibility to achieve your goals, but in the end it is worth it.

Sorry for the rant and candor but they are some of my feelings from the last 2 days. (Yes, I do have a serious side.)

On a training note (since this is what this is supposed to be about):
No Sunday workout -- the post-bowling celebration took it's toll.
Monday -- Indoor run at the Sportplex. 45 minutes, felt good and fast. I love running on those rubberized tracks.
Tuesday -- Barbell strength class at Lifetime. Strength conditioning is good, right? Instructor led, low weight, and lots of reps.
Wednesday -- Master swim at Lincoln-Way North H.S. I love swimming in the deep end.
Tonight -- back to the Sportsplex track.
Tomorrow -- Master swim.
Weekend -- I see what the weather looks like. I am afraid to run on the ice/snow. I don't want to slip and end up with a injured knee of ankle.

220 days 'till Ironman. Oh, shit!

No comments: